Provide a comprehensive and patient centred clinical Pharmacy service to patients (Cancer Services)
- Facilitate and promote rational and optimal medicines usage
- Provide assimilated and relevant medicines information to healthcare professionals and patients
Principal Activities/Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide a comprehensive and effective patient centred Clinical Pharmacy service to designated oncology/haematology wards
- Optimise rational and effective medicines use by patients
- Contribute actively to service improvements on allocated nursing areas in conjunction with the multi-disciplinary team
- Provide appropriate proactive and assimilated medicines information and education to patients and carers, prescribers and other Healthcare staff
- Carry out effective medicines reconciliation on admission and discharge
- Contribute to and facilitate timely patient discharge
- Perform regular monitoring of medicines management on wards/departments including Controlled Drugs and advise nursing staff on legal control, safe custody and security of drugs
- Validate prescriptions in the dispensary to ensure appropriateness for the patient in accordance with procedure and good practice
- Provide a safe, efficient and accurate dispensing service.
- Carry out accurate final checking of dispensed items
- Provide relevant medication counselling to patients to enable them to take their medicines safely and effectively
Education and training
- To support the delivery education and training to meet clinic objectives to pharmacy staff and allied health professionals.
- To support the ongoing professional development of all members of the pharmacy team.