NCS is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity open to 15, 16 and 17 year olds across England. It is a unique programme mixing fun, discovery and challenge, designed to build confidence and prepare young people for their journey into adulthood.
We are seeking a motivated Team Leader to lead a team of up to 15 diverse 16-17 year olds on the NCS Programme. To support and develop the learning outcomes of the NCS participants throughout the whole NCS Summer programme including mentoring the team through their social action project.
Duties will include:
- Making contact with your Wave Leader and Programme Coordinator about team members prior to departure, in order to gather useful information about young people within the team.
- Supporting and working in conjunction with your Team Mentor to provide practical and pastoral care of the participants, including night time hours during the residential phase.
- Remain appointed Safeguarding Individual for your team, ensuring all Safeguarding concerns within your team are reported and dealt with and escalated according to training and in a timely manner.
- Providing expertise in how to successfully engage and work with the local community.
- Utilising your own specific skills to improve the skill set of the young people in the group.
- Providing constructive criticism and problem solving to further challenge and develop the participants’ community projects.
- Challenge participants suitably to ensure that projects are not focussed on fundraising such as cake sales, car washes etc.
As a Team Leader, you are committing to the completion of all training, modules and delivery requirements set out below.
Two full days of face to face training in late April/May (these will be at a weekend)
On Line Training on NCS Ethos, Mental Health Awareness, Safeguarding, Health & Safety & Critical Incidents, Basic First Aid
Dates of delivery:
There are a variety of “waves” to choose from, and different options, including back to back. We are running a mixture of three week and four week programmes. Complete and exclusive availability during the agreed delivery dates is vital
In the period prior to departure, you will liaise with your Team Mentor and your Wave Leader and share information about your team
Phase 1 (Team Building) & Phase 2 (Skills Building):
Two residentials which run from Monday to Friday in two concurrent weeks. Total of 10 days and 8 nights working with your Team Mentor and your team of 15 Young People
Phase 3 (Team Challenge):
Non-residential phase based in the Thurrock area. Work with Team Mentor, Wave Leader and Young People to support your team in planning and delivering their Social Action Project. Dependent on either three week or four week programme there will be approximately either 30 or 60 hours of work over two weeks.
Wrap Up/ Reporting:
Equivalent half day at end of delivery. Finish & file paperwork & reporting. NB final payments will be released upon receipt of final compliance reports and paperwork.
Attendance at graduation to celebrate with your team, whilst ensuring their behaviour and presentation is appropriate and well managed.
Accommodation & Food & Travel:
Accommodation and food is provided for the 9 days & 8 nights of the residential phases. Transport is provided to and from activity centres. Team Leaders must make their own way to pick up and drop off points. Team Leaders must organise their own transport to and from Phase 3 delivery locations.
This role reports to:
On matters relating to team and delivery – report to Wave Leader/Phase 2 Co-ordinator
On escalated matters – report to Programme Coordinator or Programme Manager
Candidates who progress through the recruitment process will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
This organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.